Site Allocations Plan 2006 - 2026: Publication Version November 2016

Site Allocations Plan Publication Version November 2016

Schedule 4: Local Green Space

Parish: Abbots Leigh

 Location

Site Area 

Justification 

Abbots Pool, Abbots Leigh

3.91

Area with lake amidst woodland, with bridleway and footpaths. Used for informal recreation. Wildlife Site.

HER:  archaeological site: Abbots Pool and 2 pools to north medieval; C20 fishponds. 

Parish: Backwell

 Location

Site area (ha)

Justification

Farleigh Fields, Backwell

8.85

Two fields meeting in a T shape near St Andrew’s Church. Pasture, but considered to exceptionally warrant LGS designation because of their particular importance in terms of the setting of the grade 1 listed St Andrew’s Church, being high lying, prominent and visible from a significant distance to the south. They are also crossed by public rights of way, which lead towards and afford views of the church.

On HER, there is an archaeological site within the northern field (Neolithic stone slab).

Backwell Lake

5.42

Attractive area with lake and surrounding grass and trees. Wildlife Site and Local Nature Reserve. Used for informal recreation.

No records on HER.

Parish: Banwell

 Location

Site area (ha)

Justification

Banwell recreation ground, Westfield Rd, Banwell

1.22

Recreation ground, with boundary trees. Used for recreation.

No record on HER.

Riverside Green, Banwell

0.53

Grass open space, some trees, play area. Used for informal recreation.

HER shows archaeological site: site of Daniel Day’s House, Riverside, 1815.

Parish: Blagdon

Location

Site area (ha)

Justification

The Rocks common land, Blagdon

0.36

Fairly high lying area of grass and trees above rocks, with woodland to south, crossed by footpath (PROW), and used for informal recreation. Includes seats and picnic area.

HER shows archaeological site, old quarry at Street End, post medieval quarry

Parish: Churchill

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Land west of Rowan Way Churchill

1.51

Grass space with trees, used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Town: Clevedon

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Salthouse Fields, Clevedon

3.89

Iconic grass space, used for recreation, alongside Marine Lake and Severn estuary.

 HER: Includes archaeological site: site of C17 saltworks, also Victorian promenade sea defences, C19.

Wains Hill   (Poets Walk), Clevedon

4.55

Attractive hill, grass with some treed areas, near Severn estuary. Used for informal recreation, (walking etc). Local Nature Reserve and Wildlife Site.

HER shows site is a scheduled monument, with some archaeological sites (points); eg. slight univallate hillfort, and Wains Hill hillfort (Iron Age).

Church Hill, Clevedon

4.40

Attractive hill, grass and treed areas, near Severn estuary. Used for informal recreation, (walking etc). Local Nature Reserve and Wildlife Site.

HER: Includes archaeological sites (points) ridge and furrow, Church Hill; post medieval mining on s side of Church Hill; C19 Lookout tower, Church Hill.

Alexandra Gardens, Clevedon

0.81

Attractive well treed area with more open grassed part to south. Crossed by footpaths.

HER: Unregistered park or garden; archaeological site, C19 municipal park.

Pier Copse, Clevedon

0.44

Attractive grassed but well treed area. HER: Unregistered park or garden.

Herbert Gardens, East of Herbert Road, Clevedon

1.21

Attractive area well treed on boundaries. Used for informal recreation.

HER: Unregistered park or garden; archaeological site, C19 municipal park.

Dial Hill, Clevedon

4.64

Hill including densely wooded slopes crossed by footpaths, more open at top.

HER: number of archaeological sites, (points) including old C19 quarries, late prehistoric lynchets, Iron Age, site of C19 reservoir, site of C19 limekiln, etc

Strawberry Hill, Clevedon

13.85

Long area of woodland crossed by public footpaths. Wildlife Site.

HER: some archaeological sites, including stone macehead, a flint knife, Neolithic/Bronze Age, etc.

Land at Old Park Road, Clevedon

0.3

Attractive woodland in residential area. No records on HER.

Land at Green Beach, Clevedon

0.75

Attractive grassed area with some trees and ornamental gardens overlooking Severn estuary. Used for informal recreation.

HER: unregistered park and garden; includes archaeological sites: late C19 municipal park; Golden jubilee bandstand, 1887.

Sunhill Park, Sunnyside Road, Clevedon

0.56

Area of dense trees with more open central area next to community centre. Attractive. Used for informal recreation.

HER: Unregistered park or garden; archaeological site; early C20 garden, now municipal park.

Highdale Hill, Clevedon

1.16

Attractive area with woodland and some more open areas to west, crossed/bounded by public footpath.

HER: Shows archaeological sites: Christ Church and Highdale Farm: scatter of stones to north and west of Highdale Farm

Land near M5 and River Blind Yeo, along south east and southern edge of Clevedon

7.01

Largely linear open space alongside M5 and River Blind Yeo.   Used for informal recreation. Also contributes to townscape. Includes play area near Hazell Close.

No records on HER.

Land at Crabtree Path, Clevedon

0.21

Grassed area with some boundary trees. Used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Marshalls Field, Clevedon

3.49

Grass open space part bounded by River Land Yeo, with some boundary trees. Part bounded by a raised cycle/walkway to west.

No record on HER. Used for informal recreation.

A “Neighbourhood open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site, maintained by the council.

North east of Walton Park Hotel, Clevedon

2.27

Grassed area with woodland, overlooking Bristol Channel. Used for informal recreation.

 On HER: unregistered park or garden (Walton gardens and park, late C19 park).

HER also shows archaeological site: old quarries and tramway at cliff top, Walton St Mary, C19 quarry).

Millennium Orchard, Clevedon

0.30

Community orchard, accessible to the public and used for community events like wassailing etc. No record on HER.

Land at Brookfield Walk

1.88

Grass area on east edge of Clevedon adjacent to community orchard. Used for informal recreation. Boundary hedges. No records on HER

Grass space with play area, at Teignmouth Road/Beaconsfield Road junction. 0.35 Grass area, a few trees, and adjoining play area. Used for informal recreation. No records on HER.
Cherry Avenue play area 0.22 Grass open space for informal recreation. No records on HER
Land at Walton Road in front of Conygar Close 0.27 Attractive grass area with trees used for informal recreation.  HER shows archaeological site: site of Walton Park station, c 1907-1940.
Westbourne housing estate open spaces 0.90 Grass areas with trees amidst housing. Visual amenity and informal recreation. No records on HER.
Land, including walk, north of former Hangstone Quarry, running from junction of Victoria Road with Old Church Road. 0.24 Attractive area including ornamental garden, with grass and treed areas as part of walk. HER shows some archaeological sites just outside boundary, including Pleistocene bone deposits and Roman pottery from cave, at the quarry.

Parish: Congresbury

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Congresbury Millennium Green, Congresbury

2.63

Comprises attractive grass spaces either side of river. Larger northern areas has some mature trees on boundary and includes public footpaths and play area. Used for informal recreation. Southern area includes community orchard. HER shows archaeological site: site of tannery east of the Ship and Castle, C18.

Recreation area adjoining King George V Jubilee playing field, Congresbury

0.47

Grass recreation area with play equipment. No record on HER.

Land at St Andrew’s Church, Congresbury

0.8

Attractive grass area with trees, and the adjoining historic church yard, adjacent to and important to the setting of the grade 1 listed church. While cemeteries are not   normally appropriate for LGS designation, the historic importance of the graveyard, with listed walls and monuments, reflected on the HER, together with its importance to the setting of the church, is considered to warrant an exception.

Parish: Locking

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Locking Green, Locking

0.74

Grassed open space including and bounded by trees. Includes play area. Used for recreation.

HER: within broad archaeological site for core settlement of Locking.

South of Anson Road, near Parklands Village, Locking parish

1.38

Grass open space with boundary trees. Includes play area. Used for recreation.

No record on HER

Parish: Long Ashton

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Land at village hall, Long Ashton

2.01

Open space used for recreation. Includes play area.

No records on HER.

LGS in the Long Ashton Neighbourhood Plan 2014-2033, which has now been made.

Birdwell Recreation Ground (Lampton Road), Long Ashton

0.21

Grass open space used for recreation.

No records on HER.

LGS in the Long Ashton Neighbourhood Development Plan 2014-2033, which has now been made.

Peel Park, Long Ashton

2.55

Grass open space used for recreation.

LGS in the Long Ashton Neighbourhood Development Plan 2014-2033, which has now been made.

Long Ashton cricket ground, Long Ashton

1.50

Cricket ground. LGS in the Long Ashton Neighbourhood Development Plan 2014-2033, which has now been made.

Land north east of Long Ashton

298.01

Very large site including land at Ashton Court Estate. LGS in the Long Ashton Neighbourhood Development Plan 2014-2033, which has now been made.

Town: Nailsea

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Scotch Horn Park, Nailsea

3.7

Attractive park with landscaped grounds. Includes play area and skateboard park. Used for recreation.

On HER the Nailsea glassworks Scheduled Monument just extends far enough south to include a small area on north edge of park.

Land south of Bibury Close, Nailsea

0.35

Rectangular grass area with some trees. Used for informal recreation.

No records on HER. Part of Trendlewood Community Park

Nowhere Wood and land west of Bibury Close, and north of Avening Close, Nailsea

3.1

Comprises wooded area with public access including the site of a former Pennant sandstone quarry, in north, and grassed area, south to Avening Close, to south. Used for recreation.

HER shows the site of the quarry as an archaeological site (site of C19 quarry)

Part of Trendlewood Community Park

Land, north of Chelvey Rise, east of Trendlewood Way, Nailsea

0.38

Long shaped area of grass and trees. Used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Part of Trendlewood Community Park

Land south of Turnbury Avenue and land south of Fowey Close, Nailsea

1.93

Linear space on south east edge of Nailsea used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Part of Trendlewood Community Park

Land at junction of Blackthorn Way and Nailsea Park, Nailsea

1.04

Grass area south of Blackthorn Way, with scattered trees and tree group. Used for informal recreation.

HER: 4 archaeological sites:

1. tented camp for British troops in WW2 pre 1941, Nailsea Park;

2. site of WW2 hutted camp, c1941-43, Nailsea;

3. site of WW2 USA coloured troops camp, 1943-5, Nailsea Park;

4. coal mine shaft and spoil heap, Nailsea Park, post medieval coal mine.

Land to east of Hawthorn Way, west of Trendlewood Way, opposite Cedar Way, Nailsea  

0.94

Elongated area of grass with scattered trees and tree group. Used for informal recreation.

Nightingale Gardens, Nailsea

2.44

Open space used for recreation, crossed by paths. Partly bounded by trees.

Hannah More Park, Nailsea

1.12

Grassed open space with trees and play area, used for recreation.

Rhyne View open space, Nailsea

0.49

Grassed area used for recreation.

No record on HER.

Stockway North nature reserve, Nailsea

0.27

Attractive area with woodland, and public access.

Though called a nature reserve it is not a designated Wildlife Site. Used for recreation like pond dipping.

No record on HER.

Glassworks site, east of garage to Royal Oak inn, Nailsea

0.39

Historic interest as scheduled ancient monument, (Nailsea glassworks).

Middle Engine Pit, Caversham Drive, Nailsea

0.37

Historic interest, as scheduled ancient monument (remains of former Elms Colliery), and site of listed building (Engine House and associated buildings from Middle Engine Pit).

Nowhere Lane (East End Pit) Nailsea

0.25

Includes former coal tip (“tump”) of historic interest, well treed.

On HER as archaeological site: site of East End Pit, Trendlewood Way, post medieval coal mine. 

The Perrings open space, Nailsea

1.78

Grassed open space used for informal recreation. Includes play area.

 HER shows site of old quarry, post medieval in SE corner.

West of Sedgemoor Close, Nailsea

1.80

Open space with trees, used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Netcott’s Meadow, north of Backwell Lake, west of Bucklands End, Nailsea

0.99

A designated Wildlife Site and Local Nature Reserve, managed by Avon Wildlife Trust and accessible to the public. Includes grassland, a pond, higher land and trees. Includes footpaths and seat.

 HER shows archaeological site: site of WW2 home guard trench and post on north boundary.

Moorend Spout nature reserve

2.39

Nature reserve owned by Nailsea Environment and Wildlife Trust. Partly a designated Wildlife Site. Attractive, includes area of carr woodland and a pond. Managed for benefit of wildlife and as a public amenity. Low lying, with adjacent rhynes. Crossed by public footpath.   No records on HER.

Parish: Pill and Easton-in-Gordano

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Yew Tree Gardens, Easton in Gordano/Pill

0.38

Grassed open space, bounded by hedgerows and trees. Used for recreation. Includes play area.

No records on HER.

Crockern Pill, Easton in Gordano/Pill

0.29

Grassed open space, adjoining the historic pill leading to the River Avon, (which has been used by mariners since before the C15th).

 HER: some archaeological sites including site of C19 dry dock, Pill, and site of C19 boat breakers yard, Pill, etc.

Watchhouse Hill, Easton in Gordano/Pill

10.94

Hill area of grassland and woodland, adjacent to the River Avon. Crossed by paths (including Public Right of Way). Used for informal recreation.

HER: includes part of an unregistered park and garden (late C18 pleasure grounds and park, Ham Green Hospital); also some archaeological sites; e.g. boundary stone; site of Ham Green Farm, palaeolithic flint flake, Ham Green Farm.

Listed under “open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site.

Watchhouse Hill is “owned and managed by North Somerset Council as public open space for its nature conservation and amenity

value”, (paragraph 3.3.2 of Watchhouse Hill Management Plan 2013-17, by North Somerset Council).

Victoria Park, Easton in Gordano/Pill

0.221

Grass area with trees. Suitable for informal recreation.

HER: archaeological site: Victoria Park, Pill, C19 park.

Land north of Macrae Road, Ham Green.

1.16

Grass open space with avenue of trees. Used for informal recreation.

No record on HER.

Parish: Portbury

 Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Conygar Hill, Portbury

2.13

Hill of historic interest (scheduled monument) adjoining Portbury village, with footpath. Wildlife Site.

HER: Includes scheduled monument (slight univallate hillfort on Conygar Hill). Also includes archaeological sites like core settlement (Portbury enclosure) and flight of strip lynchets (medieval), Portbury.

Town: Portishead

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Lake Grounds, Portishead

10.96

Grassed area with lake and trees, adjacent to Severn Estuary. Used for informal recreation.

HER: Unregistered park or garden C20 municipal park dominated by Marine Lake; also archaeological site: Lake Grounds c1905-10 Park.

Eastwood and Battery Point, Portishead

10.92

Battery Point is an attractive grass area adjoining Severn Estuary. Eastwood is the adjoining woodland to east, crossed by public footpaths. Used for informal recreation. Statutory Local Nature Reserve and Wildlife Site.

HER: Battery Point has a number of archaeological sites, eg. Gun battery at Portishead fort rebuilt 1864, dismantled 1914, WW2 observation platform, 1940, etc. Eastwood has some too, such as Iron Age hillfort; old limekiln C19, etc.

Central Park, Port Marine, Portishead

0.94

Attractive landscaped grassed area with ornamental gardens, including statues. Used for informal recreation.

HER: includes archaeological site on periphery: site of Baileys Mill Portishead Dock, 1890s-1950s, cattle field mill.

Land at Newhaven Road, Portishead

1.21

Area of grass open space and woodland to north. Includes small play area, with linking path. Used for informal recreation.

No records on HER.

Woodhill between Pier Road and Woodhill Park, Portishead

0.64

Wooded area. Attractive, helps break up urban fabric.

HER: 2 archaeological sites both on peripheral locations: postmedieval stone, and site of light AA Portishead VP 508 (4) (1 Bofurs gun).

Welly Bottom, Portishead

1.48

Long area of mixed woodland and grassed open space, crossed by public footpath. Used for informal recreation.

No records on HER.

Land at Fedden Village, north of Nore Road, west of Glenwood Rise, Portishead

5.36

Includes attractive open space associated with grade 2   listed Portishead Nautical National School, overlooking Severn estuary. Also includes woodland.

HER shows the listed building.

Portishead Golf Course

11.44

Golf course sloping down towards Severn Estuary. There are attractive views looking down across the site from Nore Road. No records on HER. While golf courses are normally not appropriate for LGS it is considered that this site, within the settlement, warrants an exception. The importance to townscape of this open land within the settlement, affording views down from Nore Road to the sea, is considered to be particularly strong justification for designation.

Kilkenny Fields, Portishead

8.39

Informal open space sloping down towards Severn Estuary, used for recreation. There are attractive views looking down across the site from Nore Road to the sea. Bordered by public footpaths.

A “Neighbourhood open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site, maintained by the council.

Land at Blackdown Road, Portishead

2.70

Long grassed area, high lying, between residential areas. Crossed by public footpath. Used for recreation.

HER: 2 archaeological sites (points): site of post medieval stone; flint scatter at Nore Rd, Neolithic/Bronze Age.

A “Neighbourhood open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site, maintained by the council.

Land at St Peter’s Church, Portishead

0.92

Graveyard to the grade 1 listed church, and adjoining land, including the Millennium Garden, important to the setting of the church, and attractively laid out, with seating. While cemeteries are not normally appropriate for LGS designation, an exception is considered to be warranted, notably in view of the particular importance of the land in townscape and historic terms.

HER refers to listed tomb of John Hobbes to west of Medieval Churchyard Cross; and archaeological site: the site of a post medieval dwelling house 40m south of the church.

Land at The Vale, Portishead

1.85

Landscaped grassed open space with trees and pond. Attractive, used for informal recreation.

No records on HER.

Land at The Russets, Portishead

0.23

Grass area with trees crossed by footpaths, used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Linnet Gardens, The Finches, Ashlands, Portishead

0.68

Open space, with trees. Used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Land at Stonechat Green, Ashlands, Portishead

0.70

Open space, with trees and playground.

Used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Merlin Park, Portishead

4.28

Recreational space with play area, boundary trees. No record on HER.

Land north of Hawthorn Close, Portishead

2.49

Woodland visible from footpath off Hawthorn Close and from roads to north. Contributes to townscape. Crossed by public footpath.

HER shows archaeological site (point): site of hydraulic ram, C19.

Land north of Denny View, Portishead

1.3

Woodland visible from roads. Contributes to townscape.

HER shows archaeological site (point): remains of landscape garden of Bruton Manor C19.

Parish: Tickenham

 Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Village recreation area by village hall

0.5

Recreation area including grass area and area with play equipment. No records on HER.

 

Parish: Uphill

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Donkey Field, Uphill

1.39

Attractive grassed area with trees, woodland to rear. Wildlife site.

No records on HER.

Uphill Recreation Ground, New Church Rd, Uphill.

0.73

Grass space with boundary trees. Includes play area and seating. Used for recreation.

No records on HER.

Uphill Hill, Uphill

18.35

Attractive hill, grassland crossed by footpaths, topped by St Nicholas’s Church, a listed building. Site is a Natura 2000 site (of international importance for wildlife).

HER: Includes several archaeological sites, such as core settlement of Uphill Old Church, site of quarry at Folly Lane, site of Folly House, remains of WW2 searchlight battery, E of St Nicholas  Church; C19 limekilns and Bronze Age Round Barrows etc.

Town: Weston-super-Mare

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Grove Park, W-s-M

3.15

Visually attractive, with landscaped grounds. Also value for recreation, historic interest. On HER: Registered historic park and garden, several archaeological sites, including C19 Grove Park

Ashcombe Park, W-s-M

13.46

Visually attractive, value for recreation, historic interest. On HER: Registered historic park and garden, Several archaeological sites, including Ashcombe Park, c1912.

Ellenborough Park West, W-s-M

1.85

Visually attractive with trees. Value for recreation. Wildlife interest (SSSI and Wildlife Site). HER refers to Ellenborough Park archaeological site, 1855.

Ellenborough Park East, W-s-M

1.17

Visually attractive with trees. Value for recreation. Wildlife interest (Wildlife Site). HER refers to Ellenborough Park archaeological site, 1855.

Clarence Park West, W-s-M

3.73

Attractive park with landscaped grounds and trees. Value for recreation HER: Unregistered park or garden; archaeological site, Clarence Park, late C19 park.

Clarence Park East, W-s-M

2.76

Attractive grass space with boundary trees. Value for recreation.

HER: Unregistered park or garden, archaeological site, late C19 municipal park.

Beach Lawns, W-s-M

5.48

Long areas of grass along sea front. Attractive and important in townscape. Also value for recreation, including use for events. Wildlife Site.

HER: unregistered park or garden.

Prince Consort Gardens, W-s-M

0.73

Ornamental gardens overlooking Severn Estuary, with grass space, some trees and seating. Attractive, value for informal recreation.

HER: unregistered park or garden; municipal gardens created 1870s

Walford Avenue, W-s-M

10.89

Area of mainly open grass with some trees, crossed by cycleways. Includes playground. Used for recreation. Also helps break up urban fabric.

HER: some archaeological points; eg. Roman occupation NE of Priory School, site of dwelling, Banwell 1815.

A “Neighbourhood open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site, maintained by the council

Castle Batch, W-s-M

8.21

Grassed area, with numerous boundary trees and some trees on scheduled monument. Used for informal recreation. Crossed by public footpaths.

HER: includes motte in north centre, a scheduled monument.

A “Neighbourhood open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site, maintained by the council.

Land north of St Andrew’s Bowls Club, south east of Ullswater Close, east of Baildon Crescent, W-s-M

1.03

Grassed area. Used for recreation. Includes play area. A few trees. Crossed by paths.

No records on HER.

Land at The Tips, Broadway, W-s-M

1.34

Grass play area surrounded by woodland. Attractive area.

 HER: archaeological site: The Tips railway spoil heap, 1840s.

Coronation Estate play area, W-s-M

0.35

Grassed play area amidst area of housing. Used for informal recreation.

No records on HER

Land at Shrubbery Terrace/

Shrubbery Avenue, W-s-M

0.34

Attractive grass space with well treed area towards south.   Includes play area. Called “Shrubbery Park”.

HER: unregistered park or garden.

Eastfield Park, W-s-M

0.66

Attractive park, grass and well treed area.

HER: unregistered park or garden; archaeological site:1870s park.

Land at Spring Terrace, W-s-M

0.59

Grass area with some boundary trees.

No records on HER.

Land at Old Bristol Road, W-s-M

0.25

Attractive grass space with trees, clearly visible from adjoining roads.

No records on HER

Land at Almond Close, W-s-M

0.4

Grass area. Used for recreation. No records on HER.

Land to the rear of Willow Gardens, St Georges, W-s-M

0.28

Grass open space with play area. Used for recreation. Some boundary trees. No records on HER

Lynch Farm   near Savernake Road, W-s-M

4.22

Grass area, fairly high lying, with numerous trees on boundary. Includes play area. Crossed by public right of way. Used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

A “Neighbourhood open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site, maintained by the council.

Land west of Beechmount

Drive, W-s-M

0.91

Largely sloping area, much of it well treed, particularly visible from Broadway and Beechmount Close. Important for townscape.

No records on HER.

Jubilee Park including land at Windwhistle Lane, W-s-M

4.17

Grass area subdivided by footpaths, used for recreation. Includes tree groups especially on boundary. No records on HER.

The Potteries Millennium Green, W-s-M

0.49

Grassed open space partly bounded by trees, with seats. Crossed by footpaths. Includes play area. Used for recreation. No records on HER.

West of Summer Lane, Locking Castle, (west to Moor Lane, W-s-M

6.14

Attractive area alongside railway which includes lake for fishing with lakeside trees and footpaths. Used for informal recreation.   Includes Wildlife Site.

HER: archaeological site: Railway borrow pit at Banwell Road bridge , 1840s (north east end of site).

A “Neighbourhood open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site, maintained by the council

Ebdon Grounds, south of Buttercup Crescent, W-s-M

0.29

Grass open space fringed by trees. Used for informal recreation. No records on HER.

Land at Railway Triangle, (Worle Moor), Locking Castle, W-s-M

3.16

Attractive grassed area, including trees, particularly alongside paths. Includes play area and pond. Used for informal recreation.

Silverberry Road, W-s-M

1.51

Grass area used for recreation. Numerous trees on boundary. No records on HER.

Cemetery, south of Bristol Road Lower, W-s-M

7.1

Historic cemetery with grass and trees. Attractive.

On HER, archaeological sites include Milton Road cemetery,1856, and Bronze age cremations; pottery.

Though a cemetery, normally not appropriate for LGS designation, the particular qualities of this site are considered to warrant an exception. (These include the fact it is a historic cemetery on the HER.) The site has a path through it.

Land at Bransby Way, Locking Castle, W-s-M

0.58

Open space south west of local centre, Locking Castle, Weston super Mare. Used for informal recreation.

No records on HER.

Plumley Park, Locking Castle (SW of Moor Lane railway bridge), W-s-M

5.74

Open space alongside railway with footpath. Includes small lake, a Wildlife Site. Used for informal recreation.

No records on HER.

Land at Lynchmead Farm, adjoining Bluebell Road, W-s-M

1.33

Grass open space with footpath around. Surrounded by housing. Used for recreation.

 No records on HER.

A “Neighbourhood open space” on the council’s Parks and play areas web site, maintained by the council.

Parish: Winscombe

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Winscombe Millennium Green, Winscombe

1.89

Grass space flanked by trees, used for community events, informal recreation. Also some historic interest by association with former station and railway walk; (line of railway opened 1869 but rail use discontinued in 1963 following Beeching report).

HER: archaeological site: site of Winscombe station, 1869.

Parish: Wraxall and Failand

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Land north of Vowles Close, bordering north east edge of Nailsea.

5.39

Grass open space, crossed by footpaths. Attractive, with some wooded areas and trees. Owned and managed by North Somerset Council as public open space, Used for informal recreation. HER shows archaeological site: coal workings at Lodge Lane/High St, post medieval coalmine.

Parish: Wrington

Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Play area and Glebe Field off Church Walk, Wrington

0.3

Grass space with tree groups, play area. Used for recreation.

HER: site is within broad archaeological site of Wrington core settlement.

The Old Quarry off Wrington Hill, Wrington

1.3

Woodland with site of former quarry, used for informal recreation. Wildlife Site.

HER: includes archaeological sites: disused post medieval quarry in Prestow Wood, and C19 limekiln at Wrington Hill

Land at the junction of Alburys with West Hay Road, Wrington

0.25

Attractive area of grass and trees, suitable for informal recreation.

No records on HER.

Land at Redhill (Church Road/Redhill (A38) junction)

0.28

Attractive area with grass and trees, crossed by footpaths, used for informal recreation. Maintained by and on behalf of the community.

No record on HER

Parish: Yatton

 Location

Site area (ha) 

Justification 

Claverham Playground, Broadcroft Close, Claverham

0.28

Grass space with play area, some boundary trees. Used for recreation. No records on HER.

Village green, off Church Road

0.23

Attractive grass areas near church. Subdivided by footpaths and with some ornamental planted borders. Includes seats.

HER has 3 archaeological sites.

St Mary’s church yard 1.1

Attractive historic church yard with some monuments.

HER: Listed buildings: Church of St Mary; churchyard cross 6m south of church porch.
Grass area adjacent to Claverham village hall.  0.63 Grass area with trees to rear, used for May Day celebrations and other events.
No records on HER.